We're having cold weather here in Phoenix right along with the rest of the country. Before I hear any snorts of disbelief (not that any of you would be uncouth enough to snort), we're talking coldest in over twenty years, down into the teens type cold. Blocks of ice in the birdbaths cold. That's very rare here, and one of the reasons why I moved to the Valley of the Sun.
It's certainly cold enough for me to think back on blizzards I've endured in central Illinois with no electricity for almost a week, snow drifts up to the roof eaves, and my grandparents staying with us because we could use the gas oven to get some heat into the house.
Deep Freeze, go back to the Arctic where you belong!
For any of you who may be wondering, I'm healing slowly and waiting on the results of the final round of tests. It's hard to believe I was in the hospital a week ago today. I guess I've slept so much that everything's been packed away in the lumber room of my mind. On to some links!
- There's been a Cooper's Hawk hanging around the Library of Congress lately. It must have a book on hold....
- The people of Tunisia close the book on an era of obsessive censorship.
- Looking for a literary-themed place to stay in Paris? Try Le Pavillon Des Lettres.
- The Tucson Festival of Books just keeps getting better and better.
- There are so many libraries in the UK facing closure that Phil Bradley has fought back, using the art of World Wars I and II posters. His work is wonderful, and some is for sale.
- Ever heard of Storigami? Featherproof Books has!
- The Cairo Book Fair was abandoned during the unrest in Egypt.
- The San Francisco Public Library tries out literary speed dating.
- Coming Soon: Writers for the Red Cross.
- Three centuries of diaries on exhibit.
Top Ten Lists & Quizzes
- Paul Bailey's Top Ten stories of old age.
- Ten creative ways to recycle Scrabble tiles.
- Curling term or quidditch term?
- 59 things you didn't know about Virginia Woolf.
- Celebrities were spotted reading at the Sundance Film Festival.
- Literature cameos in film.
- Ten of the best moustaches in literature.
- The book is dead? Long live the book, authors say.
- The coolest book apps for reading, getting free eBooks and organizing a digital library.
- The science fiction community talks about what the publishing industry will look like after ten more years of advanced technology.
- Worldreader's goal? To put a library of books in the hands of children and families in the developing world through eReader technology. eReaders in Africa.
- The 2010 Survey of Book-Buying Behavior.
- Four reasons why the sales growth of eBooks will be slower than industry executives think.
New to My Google Reader
That's all for now! I hope I managed to include a link or two that brightened your surfing!