Another quiet week here at Casa Kittling. The only news to impart is structural. It seems that the golfball-sized hail that visited a couple of weeks ago is going to be the "driving force" behind new shingles on the roof, a new carport and possibly even a new coat of paint. I have a friend whose car was totaled by the hail, and I'm certainly glad we didn't live where the tennis ball-sized hail fell!
Let's take a look at the links I found this week!
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- Excitement is building over the publication of Mark Twain's autobiography. The author insisted that it not be published until 100 years after his death. At least 50% of the material will be brand new.
- What it's like to be a judge for the National Book Awards.
- Last week I included a link to folks in the publishing world who said that the market for picture books was basically dead in the water. This week another group says that picture books are alive and well-- in libraries.
- I love these posters and had the first one Flavorwire shows on my office wall: Musicians and READ posters. (They didn't know why Sting was dressed as he was. I'd direct them to a movie called "The Bride".)
- Scholastic has begin a Global Literacy Campaign, and I love their slogan: "Read Every Day. Lead a Better Life."
- I like this New Zealand bookstore's delivery method.
- BuzzFeed's Unusual Bookstore Sections had me thinking up a few of my own.
- Mental Floss' What 10 Classic Books Were Almost Called.
- Dominoes played by a used bookstore chain here in Arizona.
Blogging & Social Media Tips
- What's the value of your Twitter account?
- Shame on those Facebook games!
- ProBlogger's 5 Techniques to Make Your Next Post Unforgettable.
Around the Water Cooler in the Book Blogosphere
New to My Google Reader
There you have it! I hope you found one or two that tickled your fancy. Don't forget to stop by next week when I'll have a fresh batch of links for your surfing pleasure. See you then!