The book blogosphere must be gearing up for Book Blogger Appreciation Week next week because links were rather light on the ground. That's okay, though. The shorter list means you'll zip through it faster and be back to your own preparations in no time. (Or back to reading that good book you're got sitting next to you....)
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- Arizona recently passed a law which states that future third-graders have to be able to read proficiently before they can advance to the fourth grade. It's very similar to laws that have been passed in other states. Seems that some folks have noticed that people who cannot read have troubles throughout their lives....
- I like the way this guy thinks: Bookstore Tourism. If they can have tours taking you to where famous people are buried, they can take us bookaholics around to bookstores!
- Another good travel idea: Literary Destinations.
- Slideshow #1: 9 of the best science fiction books for young adults besides Mockingjay.
- Slideshow #2: 9 of the most expensive cookbooks ever.
- There's a book out there telling us how to reclaim our privacy in the digital age.
- Let's gear up for Halloween: Charlie Higson's top 10 horror books.
Blogging & Social Media Tips
- How to install a Popular Posts widget on Blogger.
- Did you hear about the kidnapped journalist who tweeted his way to freedom?
Around the Water Cooler in the Book Blogosphere
- Natalie of Book, Line, and Sinker has an excellent article on how to take better book photos.
- Michele of A Reader's Respite has a stunning sequence of photos showing old recycled books in the installation art of Alicia Martin. Like Michele, I haven't decided if it's art or sacrilege.
New to My Google Reader
That's it for this week. It's been very quiet around here, probably because long holiday weekends always confuse me. Next week I'll be more certain of what day it is, so don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll have a freshly chosen batch of links for your surfing pleasure. See you then!