I learned an important lesson for a needlepointer this week: do not use plastic canvas by the yard. The gauge isn't always consistent, and it isn't nice to spend hours doing needlework only to find that-- when you begin to sew the pieces together-- that the pieces refuse to line up. I'm afraid that some language was used here at Casa Kittling that would make a sailor blush. Good thing Denis was at work, eh?
Now I'm having trouble finding sheets of plastic canvas. I'm having no trouble at all increasing my yarn stash (some of which is thirty years old), but I've had to go online to buy my canvas.
I've also been bad in other ways, but I'll save that for another post. It's time to go through my reading on the web to see what links look the most interesting. Hopefully you'll find them worthwhile, too!
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- The Wall Street Journal wastes no time in telling us which book sold more eBooks than hardcovers during its first week of sale.
- One of my favorite authors, Val McDermid, was interviewed during a tour in New Zealand.
- Digital Overload: Your Brain on Gadgets.
- The next wave of eReaders is coming soon. One of these days they may actually have one that I want. Not that I'm picky or anything....
- The UK government is also looking to save money from closing libraries. An agency defends libraries' impact in literacy.
- Does a book's popularity guarantee its movie's success?
- The reading differences between couples: Of Two Minds About Books. There's a bit of that here at Casa Kittling: give me physical books any day while Denis much prefers audio books.
- The Top Ten Bookstores in the US. (I've only been in two.)
Blogging & Social Media Tips
- If you gotta know: 10 ways to track what people are saying about you on Twitter.
- 6 Steps to a Prettier Blog (sans designer).
- Page after page of great Twitter badges for your blog.
Around the Water Cooler in the Book Blogosphere
- If you haven't discovered it already, many of your favorite authors are blogging, and you can learn some amazing things about them. One of my favorites, Jacqueline Winspear, blogs at The Lipstick Chronicles and recently talked about her horses and training in dressage. Great story and photos!
- Jen of Jen's Book Thoughts has an excellent post about social media.
- Amanda of Desert Book Chick talks about Classics and The Commonplace Book. She made me drag out all my commonplace books from my high school and college days.
New to My Google Reader
That's all for this week. I hope you found some interesting tidbits. Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll have a fresh batch of links for your surfing pleasure. See you then!