Phoenicians are living through normal summer days. (They're called Excessive Heat Advisories.) Yes, it's the time of year when folks who live in San Diego trot out all their "Zonie" jokes because, to them, it seems more Arizonans are living in San Diego than in their home state. But hey, it's a dry heat, right? Let's get to the links before I start working up a sweat!
Bookish News & Other Fun Stuff
- Even folks outside the LA area knew about Acres of Books. Unfortunately, it is no more, but the iconic bookstore had one last chance to help its community.
- The Glamorous Life of a (Down Under) Used Book Dealer.
- For two weeks a husband helped his wife by working in her bookstore. He lived to tell the tale. (Actually nothing that anyone who's ever worked retail wouldn't identify with!)
- I Write Like is sweeping the Internet. I took it three times myself. Three different blog posts. Three different answers. H.P. Lovecraft, Dan Brown, and Vladimir Nabokov. Perhaps I'm a touch schizophrenic?
- Ever wonder what an attic sale might look like in one of the great British country homes? Chatsworth is having one. Wish I could go!
- Another thing sweeping the Internet is the "Ark", a combination bookshelf/staircase. Take a look at this video tour.
- Heard about the cat burglar in Southampton?
- One of my favorite blogs posted something droolworthy for all the lighthouse fanatics amongst us.
- A perfect combination of two loves of mine: architecture and books-- Writers' Houses, Where Stories Live.
- 16 of the greatest books about baseball.
Around the Water Cooler in the Book Blogosphere
- How I Got Over My Issues and Learned to Love eBooks from Librarian by Day.
- Food For Thought: Free Speech and Blogging from Michelle's Masterful Musings.
- If You Could Pick One Novel... from Bookstore People.
- Something wonderful: A hedgehog walks into a bookstore... from She Is Too Fond of Books.
- Do Skydivers Prefer Thrillers? from Farm Lane Books.
New to My Google Reader
Hopefully some of those tickled your fancy. Don't forget to stop by next Friday when I'll have a fresh batch of links for your surfing pleasure!
Now pardon me while I look out the window and make a bet as to whether this wind is just another dust storm or... we might actually get a drop or two of rain!